3D Content Central hosts a plethora of downloadable 3D and 2D CAD models for SOLIDWORKS.
Many major suppliers and manufacturers host their CAD models here as free downloads that you can use in your SOLIDWORKS models and designs.
As a designer, sooner or later you are bound to require some sort of standard “bought in” components.
Regardless of whether those are bearings, hinges, gears, hydraulic actuators, or motors… you probably do not need to model it up yourself!
Instead, have a look on 3D Content Central.
It is completely free to use, and most of the big manufacturers put their 3D models on there for you to view and download, and then use in your own SOLIDWORKS assemblies.
This way, you know the part will fit before you buy it.
HOW DOES 3D CONTENT CENTRAL WORK?
3D Content Central is a vast database, so you can:
- Search for supplier components using part numbers, product names, descriptions, product parameters, and other application-specific criteria, or by simply browsing through the online CAD libraries.
- Configure components based on specific requirements, such as dimensions, features, colours, and accessories.
- View free 2D and 3D parts & assemblies of both user-contributed and supplier components, 2D blocks, Library Features and Macros. You can zoom, pan, and rotate the parts & assemblies live on the website - before you download them.
- Download free 2D blocks, library features and macros for SolidWorks. Download free 2D and 3D parts & assemblies in just seconds, in either native formats for several major mechanical CAD systems, including SolidWorks 3D CAD software, CATIA®, DraftSight™, Pro/ENGINEER®, eDrawings®, and AutoCAD®, or industry standard CAD formats for Autodesk Inventor™ Series, Solid Edge™, Unigraphics®, and other CAD systems (although this depends on the supplier).
- When you locate a component you want, you can email the supplier directly from the link on the component page – or go through to their website if you prefer.
- Tag your favourite parts & assemblies, 2D blocks, library features, and macros with the keywords you use and then whenever you want them next simply search with your keywords.
- Request specific parts & assemblies, 2D blocks, library features, and macros of the user community.
- Personalise your own workspace and easily access your favourites, requests, gallery, comments, profile, downloads, and views.
HOW TO USE 3D CONTENT CENTRAL
Before you download anything, you’ll need to Sign Up and log in. Accounts are free to create for everyone.
On the home page, we have a nice big search box on the right where you can search for components.
Alternatively, clicking the See All Suppliers option, gives a huge list of individual suppliers. TOP TIP - If your company sells components, you can even sign up to 3D Content Central to make your own free online catalogue!
Looking for More Tips?
Sign up to our CPD-accredited training courses
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a complete beginner or are intimately familiar with CAD, our friendly and expert trainers are ready to help you get the most out of SOLIDWORKS, either online or in a classroom local to you.
We also have a load of free SOLIDWORKS tutorials across our site, or you can check out our YouTube channel for more tips and tricks.
Don’t forget, with a SOLIDWORKS subscription, you can contact our expert Technical Support team to help you out with new commands and modelling tips.
Call us on 01926 333 777 or drop an email to email@example.com and one of our certified SOLIDWORKS Engineers will be in contact.